Lee County Humane Society developed in 1974 as the solution to the growing problem of stray animals in our community. A group of hard-working and concerned volunteers took animals into their homes to foster, love and try to find forever homes. LCHS acquired property on Highway 280 in 1976 and the shelter found its home. Through donations and a community effort, the volunteer run organization hired staff and eventually began adding on to the facility.
This facility served the citizens and animals of Auburn and Opelika well for many years. In 1990 the expansion of Highway 280, allowed the state to purchase the current shelter and LCHS began its search for a new home. With the combined funds from the sale of the Highway 280 property, Auburn, Opelika and Lee County governments as well as the estate of L. Biggin, we began construction of our new facility on Ware Drive.
It is in this facility that we work every day to ensure we are meeting the needs of companion animals in our community. This is where our residents live and our staff and volunteers spend countless hours caring for these animals. We work to meet the needs of our community through adoption and education programs. We are fortunate to be part of community that truly cares about the welfare of its companion animals.
Location and Hours
1140 Ware Drive
Auburn, AL 36832
*Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult (18 years or older).