We understand that sometimes situations arise in which you are no longer able to care for your companion animal. LCHS will work with you to the best of our ability to ensure your pet has the best chance possible of finding a forever home.
There are a few things you can do to help this process:
- Place your pet with someone you know
- Use social media to get the word out. Be sure to ask for references before allowing someone to adopt your pet
- Search for breed specific rescues
- Contact other rescues in our area such as:
• For Paws Rescue (334) 502-7900
• East Alabama Humane Society (334) 298-6446
• Rescue K-911 (256) 896-4694
• PAWS Humane (706) 565-0035
• Dogpatch Ranch (334) 272-6927
Surrendering your pet to LCHS
Owners who wish to surrender their pet to the Lee County Humane Society should call the shelter first. This will allow us time to prepare for the arrival of your pet. When you come to the shelter you will be required to:
- Provide veterinarian records
- Complete a pet information form- remember the more information we have about your pet the better opportunity we can give them for finding a forever home
- Proof of residence in Auburn or Opelika (power or water bill is acceptable)
Lost & Found Pets
What Should I Do If I Have Lost My Pet?
If you are looking for a lost pet, please visit the shelter during our normal hours:
Monday 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Tuesday, and Thursday-Sunday 8:30- 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Please e-mail a picture of the lost animal, location last seen, and contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your valid driver’s license or government issued photo identification.
- Proof of ownership: A picture of the pet you are claiming, a description of the animal on a past vet record, or a notarized, written description of the pet that declares that you are the owner.
- Fees associated with claiming your lost pet
If you are reporting an animal that is running-at-large please contact your local Animal Control.
• Lee County Animal Control (334) 737-7013
• Auburn Animal Control (334) 501-3090
• Opelika Animal Control (334) 705-5480
We only accept stray feral cats from within the city limits of Auburn and Opelika. To keep our staff safe, they must be brought into our facility in a squeeze trap. Auburn citizens can contact Auburn Animal Control to borrow a trap.
Citizens can also check with their local veterinarian to see if they have a TNR Program (Trap, Neuter, Release). Citizens can also check with Paws Humane located in Columbus, GA for discount spay/neuter surgeries, they may be reached at 706-565-0035
Lee County Animal Control
• Citizens should contact Lee County Animal Control for pick-up of strays found in Lee County (and outside the city limits of Auburn and Opelika).
• Lee County Animal Control can be reached Mon-Fri 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM at 334-737-7013.
• Alternatively, animals may be dropped off at the Department of Environmental Services located at 100 Orr Avenue, Opelika 36804 Mon-Fri 7:30 AM – 3:30 PM. They request a call ahead of time so that an animal control officer can be there to greet you. Following this policy will help owners find their lost pets.
• For Lee County residents wishing to surrender their pets, Lee County Animal Control accepts owner surrenders Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 10 AM – 12 PM.
• If you seek additional information about Lee County Animal Control policies, please contact them at 334-737-7013
• $40.00 Impound Fee per animal
• $15.00 a night per unaltered animal
• $10.00 a night per altered animal
*The claim fee is reduced by 50% for pets who are spayed or neutered and claimed within 24 hours. Must show proof of spay.